The Berkshire County District Attorney’s office is seeking a full-time criminal appellate attorney. Candidates should have prior appellate experience, strong research and writing skills, and preferably experience as an Assistant District Attorney. This position reports to the Chief of Appeals.
A successful candidate will have demonstrated the ability to articulate sound legal arguments, both orally and in writing. The position requires attention to detail, careful legal research, efficient and timely completion of briefs and memoranda of law, and experience arguing before both the MA Appeals Court and the SJC.
• Handle post-conviction motions and appeals with a minimum amount of supervision
• Assist trial attorneys with suppression and other evidentiary issues, motions to dismiss, motions in limine, and jury instructions
• Analyze and develop policy initiatives and proposed legislation
• JD from accredited law school
• Member in good standing of the Massachusetts Bar
• Strong communication, research, and writing skills
• Significant and demonstrated understanding of criminal law, with an emphasis on appellate and case law
• Capacity for fairness, strong work ethic, and ability to manage demanding work load
• Excellent organizational skills with strong attention to detail
• Ability to work independently and be part of a team
• Strong computer skills, must be proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
All full time positions offer a State benefit package includes: medical/dental/vision insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement plans, paid vacation, personal and sick leave, and paid parental leave. Payroll is bi-weekly and based on a 37.5 hour work week (normally 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.). All job offers contingent upon successful completion of background check. Must relocate to Berkshire County upon acceptance. Preference given to bilingual candidates.
Berkshire District Attorney’s Office is an EEO Employer with a firm commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in hiring practices.
Please send cover letter, resume, and references to: Dina Guiel Lampiasi, Chief of Operations – Dina.GuielLampiasi@mass.gov